Search This Blog, This Internet

AddThis

Share |

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who am I? Who the Hell are you? (I AM NOT SUICIDAL)

Here's my proposed tombstone. It will measure slightly less grande than the Arc de Triomphe (below). The little things circling it are cars.



                 JOSEPH RUDOLPH BAUER, III, aka ERNST WOLFGANG
                                       "J.R." thrived, more or less, from
                              15 APRIL 1963  TO  31 DECEMBER 2043

Here lies the dessicated remains of one urbane, humble polymath and renowned philanthropist who donated over 1000¢ per month to various humanitarian causes by which we mean anything remotely anti-LimbaughBeckHannityMcCarthyPalinO'ReillyCoulterRobertsonesque. 

He commanded at least ONE language well enough to be considered a "native speaker" though he claimed allegiance to no particular tribe, and was an honorable, decorated, disabled veteran despite having done nothing of note in combat, kinda like Pat Robertson but with more decorations, greater dignity and fewer STDs.

He is missed by but a few; however, they are the likes anyone should be honored to know. He insists the rest can go fuck themselves silly, redundant though that may be.
He desperately misses his Ell, the kids, English football, the NY Times' crossword puzzles, and his futile pursuit to understand why ANYONE intelligent enough to figure out how to breed could have voted for George W. Bush in 2004. He's hoping the change of venues allows better search capabilities.

Lastly, it is his greatest hope that if there is indeed a Heaven--and his invitation is still valid--it is engineered and designed by Steve Jobs and PIXAR Studios. And that Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-KY, never be allowed in, even if just for a visit.

Actually, I'm a happily married father of 2 sons and step-father of one daughter who served in the Army as a linguist and signals intelligence analyst for nearly 8 years until the lingering effects of a serious ankle injury & surgery along with increasing lower back pain forced my honorable discharge due to disability in December 1991.

Part of the motivation for this blog is the attempt to re-create my identity and self-worth as a person and as a man now that the pain in my spine and radiates down both legs is severe and unremitting. The causes of the pain are also inoperable largely because I'm a diabetic and the risk of infection to the spinal cord or brain is too great, but also because a good deal of the pain is caused by spondylosis, an arthritis particular to spinal mechanisms called "facet joints," which not only creates swelling and muscle spasms but impingement of the nerve roots as they exit the central canal space on their way to connecting the peripheral nervous system of the arms, torso and legs to the spinal cord and ultimately the brain.

Simply stated, chronic, severe pain is a bitch. I had no idea it would change my world in such devastating and crazy ways. The first real symptoms--other than a deep, ineffable, nauseating pain that felt like a Clydesdale was perched on my lumbar spine about 3 inches above the crack in my butt cheeks--included the overwhelming desire to sleep...for days on end. I was working from home at the time and felt so bad I was taking sick leave for the simple reason that I was unable to concentrate long enough to do my job, a job I loved: a disability evaluator for the VA. Next, it was becoming very clear that I was unable to sleep secondary to the pain despite the use of prescription opiates--oxycontin, Vicodin, oxycodone, et al--but they were short-term medications not nearly strong enough to even come close to the level of hegemonic pain that was imposing its unruly will on my life. I seriously considered hiring Jesse Jackson to negotiate with the hijackers to no avail; THEY were in control of S.S. Ernst Wolfgang until their mysterious demands were deciphered and met.

And then it got really bad. It began to affect my relationships with co-workers and, surprise surprise, management.* The frustrated "unrecognized genius" that I was began lashing out and pushing back...well, even worse than before, anyway. I loved and respected the job and what we did for veterans to the point that my logical, focused, and reasonably well-honed intellect started an inexorable loosening of the hinges, untying of knots, and horrendous unraveling that met the morons of management head-fucking-on, like a demolition derby king looking for something to hit.

Unfortunately, I failed to realize, 1) how fucking mean-spirited and petty some of the dark forces were, and 2) how little patience they had for any employee who failed to pull his own weight. Shitty, titty-suck managers dumber than boxes full of hair were allowed felonious yards of rope with which to hang themselves, in fact I never saw one get the boot; employees, on the other hand, who were in the trenches, fighting for veterans, helping fellow workers, fixing the goddam printers 10 fucking times a day, repairing internal errors--many of which were malicious and cruel to the claimants--blah blah blah, meant not a whit to the shits driving the damn boat. It was even worse than that. They were so desperate to fuck claimants in order to preserve their bonuses, some resorted to stealing work off my desk while I was on vacation and then lying about it when I confronted them. I even found the folders of terminally ill, homeless veterans HIDDEN so they couldn't be worked "too fast and wreck our numbers." Thankfully, two people in the management chain were humane enough to realize how ill I had become and to stand up and fight on my behalf though they never told me what they were doing or why.

Here's how management "thinks" the world should work and see nothing contradictory or untoward about it. An employee was caught red-handed throwing away crucial evidence precisely because it supported a veteran's claim because the employee wanted to deny the claim. He was allowed to "retire." An "independent review" of his work found "no pattern" of malfeasance. Right. Shortly thereafter, a mandated review of everyone's work that covered a relatively short period of time--18 months, I believe--resulted in no fewer than 32 clear and unmistakable errors on that one person alone. In other words, for the time period involved in the review of everybody's decisions, roughly 1/4th of that haughty Teuton's determinations were purposely denied despite the presence of incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. No pattern, huh? Chicken-shit liars.

Even though they technically had grounds to fire me, the interference of the two doing "the right thing" resulted in the bittersweet though much preferred option called "retirement due to disability." One of the the esteemed members of the HQ cell called me at home where I was nursing a migraine--HEY! THANKS FOR THE GODDAMN RINGING PHONE! IT REALLY HELPS THOSE SUFFERING FROM A MIGRAINE (DEVISE A PLOT TO KILL OTHERS AND DISMEMBER THEIR CORPSES BEFORE JUDGE JUDY RETURNS FROM A BATHROOM BREAK! JUST KIDDING! SORTA)-- in order to inform me not to come back to work. They were expecting my wife to clean out my desk on her own time.

The SADDEST chapter of all this drama? I'd give my left biceps muscle and a Happy Meal to be able to return to work despite all my complaining. Some of the managers are excellent and genuinely concerned about both veterans and employees. It's just that the bad ones are of such poor quality in people and technical skills, their integrity as a person is often questionable. Their obvious weaknesses usually include the basic understanding of what a good supervisor does FOR the employees to make their job easier. When employees are being pushed to produce, which is fair, but not receiving the support to either complete their tasks or feel that the coach is willing to go to bat for them, the wheels come off. There is no worse feeling as a worker than the sensation that no one gives a shit whether you show up or not. Nevertheless, I would love to feel well enough to try.

XOXO
Ernst W.

* This is not to say every manager is bad. Some are great at their jobs. I'm referring to the big bosses primarily, like the ones who throw away mail addressed to someone else. Without asking. That's a federal crime. Especially if one looks like the monster in Young Frankenstein.

4 comments:

  1. Chronic pain does indeed suck and ruin lives, one of my brothers is dealing with something very similar to your problem. I wish happiness for you on your good days and strength to deal with it on your bad ones.
    That being said, your depiction of government bureaucracy is exactly the reason the concept of govt. run health care scares the bejeesus out of so many. No one should have to have their care in the hands of a lame ass bureaucrat out to massage the numbers to make the department look good, especially our veterans. But to sic that kind of bad craziness on the entire population is beyond crazy, it borders on evil. I get THE FEAR even pondering it.

    Oh, and I have heard from an unreliable source that a mixture of soju, Oscar, and marijuana alleviates most pain in 4 out of 5 dentists.

    Cheers.

    Verde Quatro

    ReplyDelete
  2. VQ,

    I get most of my healthcare from a government agency, VA Health Care System. So far, I have no complaints with it that are unique to a gov't run program. In fact, 10 tears ago it was AWFUL! But someone got smart and revamped the way they do business and voila! It is 1000% better than it was and it's efficient, caring, and accountable.

    Believe me, I'm as distrustful of a gov't-run program as the next person, but VA HCS changed my mind that it's impossible to do. I'm a convert and I'd sooner cut off my nose than lie to you about this.

    Peace-Verde Quatro, Ernst

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading your blog, but so far have no witty comments. I can say that my husband has chronic pain to a much lesser degree than yours, and it is sad how it has limited his/our lives. I am frustrated that in this modern world there are so few viable (and legal) options for treating chronic pain. I worry how much worse he will be in 5, 10, 40 years. Still, knowing your story and his, I continue to take my general good health for granted and am ashamed of that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Layla,

    Pithy, witty comments are not a requirement for a comment. Obviously, the essays miss those marks by a country mile! And thanks for reading, your threshold for pain is amazing. ;-) BTW, sorry for the lateness in responding: I've been battling a horrible head cold that settled in my chest before finally subsiding some today.

    Yes, we have been struggling with these issues as well. To make matters worse, my brother and sister are convinced that I need an intervention and my wife is an enabler since all I do "is take drugs and sit around" and all she does is "defend me." Of course, neither of these comments are helpful nor are they accurate. My sister has come around and has a better understanding of what's happened and is possible; my brother, not so much.

    Our father was a very intelligent, talented investment banker who died at 54 from the complications of alcoholic cirrhosis, which is a terminal condition caused by incessant scarring of the liver. While being tested for viability as an organ recipient, his condition was so tenuous that when they took a small sample for a biopsy to ensure he didn't have cancer, his blood wouldn't clot and he died of massive hemorrhaging.

    My brother and sister are terrified that I'm heading in the same direction and their guilt over watching our father slowly kill himself through gin & tonics and Stingers (brandy & creme de menthe over ice) has made them extra sensitive to the situation, especially when I have the rare (thankfully) psychotic break and actually think of ways to kill myself. Also, I was an All-American athlete in high school and served in the Army until severe injuries to my back and right ankle forced me out on disability; in other words, in 20 years I went from rappelling down buildings and doing 40 mile forced rucksack marches to retirement on full disability a week after I turned 44.

    Good luck and do not hesitate to write/email.

    Respectfully,

    J.R.

    ReplyDelete